# Works Outside of Browser
Theoretically there are two ways for making Saladict work outside of browser:
- Search clipboard content with global shortcut(which is the theory behind all current toolchains).
- Native messaging via browser API(Not implemented. PRs are welcomed!).
# Trigger Saladict Searching Without Opening Browser Window
- Open Saladict settings, enable "Keep in Background".
backgroundin Chrome Settings, enable:
Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed
- Add Chrome to system startup.
# Search Clipboard Content With Global Shortcut
On browsers that offer global shortcuts for extensions(Currently only Firefox does no support global shortcuts):
chrome://extensions/shortcuts, set a
Globalshortcut for Search clipboard content in Standalone Panel.
- Copy any text, then press the shortkeys.
With this pattern we can search any text outside of browser. Many skillful users of Saladict also have found out ways to automate this process with other tools. Thank them for taking the time to make and share all of these magnificent tutorials!
The author also shared tutorials on OCR, PDF notation and mouse gesture!
Similar to PopClip on MacOS.
# Alfred Workflows
Got more ideas? Welcome to share your own tutorials!
To Folks Out There Who ❤️ Saladict
The Saladict project would not have come this far without its supporters. As a free, ad-free, open sourced non-profit project, it is beyond expectation receiving such an overwhelming response. Please allow my sincere respect, to you. Thank you for your contribution！
If you enjoy using Saladict please help more people find out this extension. You can:
- Help more friends discover Saladict! Press the ★Star button on top of Github and leave a comment on Chrome Web Store, Add-ons for Firefox or Microsoft Edge Store.
- Help fix typos and wording (tribute to these contributors).
- Share your Saladict hacks and tricks to others.
- Gift the author a cup of coffee ☕️ now and then to keep him energetic.
Thank you all for giving the author cheers when he needed the most.
Disclaimer: Saladict is a free and open-sourced project for study purpose only. Anyone can obtain a copy of Saladict free of charge. Before your donation please confirm that this is not an act of purchasing but a voluntary gift support for the author, who do not offer any corresponding service in return. Thank you for your understanding🙏.
If you believe your legal rights have been violated please contact the author immediately.